Home & Community Health
The BC Palliative Care Benefits Program supports BC residents of any age who have reached the end stage of a life-threatening disease or illness and who wish to receive palliative care at home. Any B.C. resident who wishes to receive palliative care at home can ask their physician to assess their medical eligibility for the program and submit an application on their behalf.
“Home” is defined as wherever the person is living, their own home, with family or friends or in a supportive or assisted living or hospice house that is not licensed residential care facility under the PharmaCare Plan.
Under the program, eligible patients receive:
- coverage of medications used in palliative care through the PharmaCare BC Palliative Care Drug Plan, and
- medical supplies and equipment through Interior Health Authority.
- Your physician
- Community Care
- or phone 1-800-663-7100
Whether you are at home, in hospital, in a care facility or, in one of the three rooms at Bastion Place, the Community Care team will provide End of Life Care. Services they provide, but not limited to are:
- Care to help relieve symptoms such as pain, nausea, shortness of breath, fatigue, insomnia
- Information on services and care options, and financial matters
- Teaching for families on how to provide or assist with care
- Emotional support
- Referrals to available services, such as volunteers or counseling
Call for more information
This position is responsible for coordinating palliative care services in the Shuswap Area for individuals who are facing a life-limiting illness. This leadership position works with community partners and strives to be an advocate for individuals and their caregivers who require support for end of life care by offering information and education to enable ongoing, informed decisions regarding treatment choices, care options and symptom management.
How To Contact:
- Referral from any physician (family, surgeon, oncologist etc)
- Referral from hospital staff
- Referral from Community Care
- Referral from Shuswap Hospice